Free online program helping children tackle anxiety
Lots of parents in mining and resources worry that the lifestyle might increase the likelihood of anxiety in their children, particularly when rosters involve FIFO, DIDO or shift work.
So we thought we'd tell you about BRAVE - a new online self-help course that's be proven to help prevent and treat anxiety in young people aged between eight and 17.
The program, which uses Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) techniques, includes up to 10 sessions for children or young people. Parents can also take part in a separate program to learn ways to help their children manage anxiety and participants can come back at any time for refreshers. Parents can complete the program together with, or independently of, their child and not everyone will need to do all sessions.
The program was developed by experts from Griffith University, The University of Southern Queensland (USQ) and The University of Queensland, in consultation with UniQuest Pty Limited.
"The program is fun, interactive and can be completed at your own pace," says USQ Researcher Dr Sonja March. "Trials and evaluation of the BRAVE program have shown young people who use it notice a significant improvement in their anxiety, and many are able to overcome their worries.”
For more information, or to access the program, please visit www.brave4you.psy.uq.edu.au.
More on Health & Wellbeing ...
- Wanted: Aussie blokes to grow beards in support of beyondblue
- Why FIFO works for (many) families
- Assistive Style - products to make life easier
- Raising awareness to help parents through PND
- Miner's Bible tackles common mining issues
- New Aussie eHealth records: perfect for families on the move
- Bang on a beanie to support brain injury awareness
- Buy sports items signed by your favourite stars - and help fight prostate cancer
- Be Happy Cards enhance emotional resilience in children
- Mining wives reveal how to keep the sex drive alive
- Depression’s social network: family and friends need support too
- R U OK? Afield - a new program helping mining workers
- Stressed, angry and unhappy? There is a cure for that...
- Mining wives talk drugs & alcohol
- Drugs and alcohol in mining: workers have their say
- Aussie miners discuss their black days
- PND: a thief that steals motherhood
- Psych support for rural Aussies
- Wise words from a mining chaplain
- Employee Assistance Programs: who to talk to (when he won't)
- Miners turn to MensLine Australia to build ties with family and beat the blues
- Miners under the Aussie sun - a growing client base for skin specialists
- Meet Australia's FIFO bachelor
- Making your own life in a mining town
- Beyondblue is building Australia's biggest shed - online!
- Bit hot on the job? Drink more water!
- Relationship struggles of a single FIFO miner
- How to turn that beer belly into a six pack
- Blokes feeling blue: identifying and conquering depression
- De-stress at your office desk with three easy exercises
- Ten steps to a great workout
- Eight essential strategies for losing weight
- Battling the bulge and the bain marie
- Turn your donga into a gym (or how to exercise in a tiny space)
- Ask Mareike ... your personal fitness trainer