Wanted: Aussie blokes to grow beards in support of beyondblue
OK all you lads in mining, oil and gas - here's the perfect excuse to get lazy with the shaver and grow that manly beard you've always wanted.
More than 20 men across Australia are already letting their beards grow untamed for the rest of the year to raise awareness of depression and anxiety and funds for beyondblue.
Darwin mates Anthony Jowett and Kevin Perry were the first to take on the challenge with clean-shaven faces on January 1, following a friendly bet on who could grow the bushiest beard in 12 months. Anthony and Kevin decided to use their efforts to raise funds for beyondblue.
The pair has now been joined by about 25 other men around Australia and the group (known as the Bearded Brotherz) has already raised more than $5000 for beyondblue. They now hope to raise more than $10,000 by the time they shave at the end of the year.
Anthony, who is an engineering consultant, said he and Kevin feel very strongly about raising awareness of depression and anxiety after a mutual close friend took his own life while experiencing depression last year. He says he hopes his beard will also spark casual conversations about depression and anxiety.
For more information on how to join or to donate to the Bearded Brotherz, visit give.everydayhero.com/au/brotherz.
If people are having a tough time, they can contact trained mental health counsellors at the beyondblue Support Service via phone on 1300 22 4636 or via www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat or email responses. The Support Service is partly funded by donations from the Movember Foundation.
More on Health & Wellbeing ...
- Why FIFO works for (many) families
- Assistive Style - products to make life easier
- Raising awareness to help parents through PND
- Miner's Bible tackles common mining issues
- New Aussie eHealth records: perfect for families on the move
- Bang on a beanie to support brain injury awareness
- Buy sports items signed by your favourite stars - and help fight prostate cancer
- Be Happy Cards enhance emotional resilience in children
- Mining wives reveal how to keep the sex drive alive
- Depression’s social network: family and friends need support too
- R U OK? Afield - a new program helping mining workers
- Stressed, angry and unhappy? There is a cure for that...
- Mining wives talk drugs & alcohol
- Drugs and alcohol in mining: workers have their say
- Aussie miners discuss their black days
- PND: a thief that steals motherhood
- Psych support for rural Aussies
- Wise words from a mining chaplain
- Employee Assistance Programs: who to talk to (when he won't)
- Miners turn to MensLine Australia to build ties with family and beat the blues
- Miners under the Aussie sun - a growing client base for skin specialists
- Meet Australia's FIFO bachelor
- Making your own life in a mining town
- Beyondblue is building Australia's biggest shed - online!
- Bit hot on the job? Drink more water!
- Relationship struggles of a single FIFO miner
- How to turn that beer belly into a six pack
- Blokes feeling blue: identifying and conquering depression
- De-stress at your office desk with three easy exercises
- Ten steps to a great workout
- Eight essential strategies for losing weight
- Battling the bulge and the bain marie
- Turn your donga into a gym (or how to exercise in a tiny space)
- Ask Mareike ... your personal fitness trainer