Assistive Style - products to make life easier
Nathan McNamara founded his company Assistive Style after discovering there was no one-stop shop when it came to buying products and services for his beloved elderly mum.
"I was at a crossroads in my life and looking for the next path," he says. "While I had some rare extra time, I was helping my mother and enjoying her company - she's in her 70s and still wonderfully alert, but after multiple strokes and other health issues she suffers from a range of physical challenges."
Looking around at the services and products available to help his Mum, Nathan quickly discovered a huge lack of information. Sure, there were some fantastic products - both in Australia and around the world - but it was just so time-consuming to find and compare them all.
And so Nathan created Assistive Style - to provide easy access to the huge array of assistive and adaptive products available for the elderly, people with disabilities, carers, family members ... and people who just like products that make life easier!
Nathan's website now features more than 800 products - everything from All Day socks and stack-and-snack utensil sets (pictured) to temperature-based, colour-changing shower and tap heads. Delivery of all products is available Australia-wide.
The website has been specially designed to ensure that people with vision challenges find it easier to see and read. You can simply enlarge the text by clicking the A-plus or A-minus buttons. Or click on the "listen" link and it will read out what is on the page for you.
"We’ve tried to make it as easy as possible - and we’re always open to new ideas," he says. "We offer heaps of pictures and real-world explanations of products, not marketing gobbledygook!"
As a special offer for Mining Family Matters readers, Nathan is offering a 10 per cent discount on all purchases in November. Just enter the discount code MININGFM at checkout.
He's also running a competition called "Nurturing November" where you can win 20 prizes worth more than $1800. Simply click here to win!
More on Health & Wellbeing ...
- Raising awareness to help parents through PND
- Miner's Bible tackles common mining issues
- New Aussie eHealth records: perfect for families on the move
- Bang on a beanie to support brain injury awareness
- Buy sports items signed by your favourite stars - and help fight prostate cancer
- Be Happy Cards enhance emotional resilience in children
- Mining wives reveal how to keep the sex drive alive
- Depression’s social network: family and friends need support too
- R U OK? Afield - a new program helping mining workers
- Stressed, angry and unhappy? There is a cure for that...
- Mining wives talk drugs & alcohol
- Drugs and alcohol in mining: workers have their say
- Aussie miners discuss their black days
- PND: a thief that steals motherhood
- Psych support for rural Aussies
- Wise words from a mining chaplain
- Employee Assistance Programs: who to talk to (when he won't)
- Miners turn to MensLine Australia to build ties with family and beat the blues
- Miners under the Aussie sun - a growing client base for skin specialists
- Meet Australia's FIFO bachelor
- Making your own life in a mining town
- Beyondblue is building Australia's biggest shed - online!
- Bit hot on the job? Drink more water!
- Relationship struggles of a single FIFO miner
- How to turn that beer belly into a six pack
- Blokes feeling blue: identifying and conquering depression
- De-stress at your office desk with three easy exercises
- Ten steps to a great workout
- Eight essential strategies for losing weight
- Battling the bulge and the bain marie
- Turn your donga into a gym (or how to exercise in a tiny space)
- Ask Mareike ... your personal fitness trainer