FIFO workers/families needed for surveys
At Mining Family Matters we're always happy to promote research projects, because we know that comprehensive studies can ultimately be used to improve the lives of mining/resources workers and their families. Here are two studies that need your help:
Diabetes in Queensland FIFO workers
Researchers at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane are studying Type 2 diabetes in FIFO miners living in south-east Queensland. They're looking into diagnosis and management among miners and their families, workplaces and communities.
If you've been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes or might be at risk (i.e. don't eat fruit/veg or exercise every day, have a waist measurement over 100cm, smoke tobacco OR have a family history of diabetes), they'd love to speak to you and your partner.
Communication technology for FIFO/DIDO workers
Researchers at Central Queensland University are looking into the availability and effectiveness of communication technology for FIFO and DIDO workers.
The project aims to establish why workers choose certain modes of communication and which methods work best.
More on Health & Wellbeing ...
- Train your brain: how to boost your emotional wellbeing
- Men's health: reduce your risks to lead a longer, happier life - from the experts at Bupa
- New support service for young people living with cancer
- Australian principals back parenting e-course
- Miners' Promise - supporting families rocked by workplace accidents
- Free online program helping children tackle anxiety
- Wanted: Aussie blokes to grow beards in support of beyondblue
- Why FIFO works for (many) families
- Assistive Style - products to make life easier
- Raising awareness to help parents through PND
- Miner's Bible tackles common mining issues
- New Aussie eHealth records: perfect for families on the move
- Bang on a beanie to support brain injury awareness
- Buy sports items signed by your favourite stars - and help fight prostate cancer
- Be Happy Cards enhance emotional resilience in children
- Mining wives reveal how to keep the sex drive alive
- Depression’s social network: family and friends need support too
- R U OK? Afield - a new program helping mining workers
- Stressed, angry and unhappy? There is a cure for that...
- Mining wives talk drugs & alcohol
- Drugs and alcohol in mining: workers have their say
- Aussie miners discuss their black days
- PND: a thief that steals motherhood
- Psych support for rural Aussies
- Wise words from a mining chaplain
- Employee Assistance Programs: who to talk to (when he won't)
- Miners turn to MensLine Australia to build ties with family and beat the blues
- Miners under the Aussie sun - a growing client base for skin specialists
- Meet Australia's FIFO bachelor
- Making your own life in a mining town
- Beyondblue is building Australia's biggest shed - online!
- Bit hot on the job? Drink more water!
- Relationship struggles of a single FIFO miner
- How to turn that beer belly into a six pack
- Blokes feeling blue: identifying and conquering depression
- De-stress at your office desk with three easy exercises
- Ten steps to a great workout
- Eight essential strategies for losing weight
- Battling the bulge and the bain marie
- Turn your donga into a gym (or how to exercise in a tiny space)
- Ask Mareike ... your personal fitness trainer