At Mining Family Matters, we're often asked if marriage breakdowns are more common in mining and resources. The answer is we really don't know. Anecdotally, people say the divorce rate is huge among FIFO workers in particular, but research seems to suggest otherwise (see the first link below for more details - and we'd love to hear from you if you have any other statistics one way or the other!) The unfortunate truth is that divorce is common right across the western world, among workers in all industries and professions. If you're facing a relationship breakdown, we hope these articles will be of use...
- The facts about child support: how it's assessed and when you can appeal a ruling
- Separation in a mining town a tough challenge
- Collaborative practice: helping miners to avoid court and minimise the fallout of divorce
- The high FIFO divorce rate is a myth, but the challenges are a reality when families separate
- My Child Support - making sense of Australia's child support system
- Long-term relationships: how to know when it's time to go
- How to cope when your marriage or long-term relationship ends