Healthy snack options and hard-core exercises for health-conscious miners
Q: Can you please provide me with more exercises that I can do in my donga as I am fairly fit and those listed aren't enough of a workout, yet due to start and finish times I tend to miss the gym. Also, can you please list some healthy snack-type options that I can carry with me, as we tend to have breaks at odd times or not at all and my body is used to five small meals a day. I used to train five days a week but I have lost the motivation out here and I am trying to maintain my current weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A: When you're away from home and out of your normal routine, or too busy to stop and eat a regular meal, it can be difficult to give your body the nutrition it needs to sustain enough energy to get through your day. Here are some simple ideas for some healthy snacks that are easy to prepare ... and easy on the waistline too!
- Small tin of tuna in spring water
- Handful of raw, unsalted nuts such as almonds, macadamias or brazil nuts
- Handful of homemade trail mix. I like pepitas, sunflower seeds, goji berries, currants, almonds and coconut flakes
- An apple, orange, banana or mandarin
- Protein bars (look for low-sugar ones)
- Muesli bars (again, the less sugar the better)
- Plain popcorn
- Dried fruit (small amounts though as it is energy dense and very moorish!)
- Nut pastes (almond, cashew etc)
- Brown rice cakes spread with almond butter
- Vegetables such as carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, chunks of cucumber and capsicum
- Boiled eggs
- Dry roasted edamame (soy beans)
Likewise, if you're finding it hard to stick to an exercise routine on the mine site, and the original exercise regime I wrote for Mining Family Matters isn't enough for you, here are some other ideas for working out in your donga. The following programs are guaranteed to raise your heart rate and pump your muscles, leaving you feeling fit, lean, healthy and strong! Warning: many of these are not for the faint of heart and require a decent level of fitness and a strong will. Enjoy!
- Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of: 5 handstand pushups (against a wall), 10 one-leg squats, 15 pullups
- 50-40-30-20-10 reps of: skips and situps
- Complete 5 rounds, resting 3:00 between each round: 20 pullups, 30 pushups, 40 situps, 50 squats
- 50 burpees (jump 20cm above max reach each one)
- 4 rounds of: Run 400m and 50 squats
- As many rounds as possible in 15 minutes of: 10 pushups, 15 situps, 20m walking lunge
- 5 rounds of: 100 jumping jacks and 100 mountain climbers
- 50 rounds of: 1 squat, 1 pushup, 1 sit-up, 1 superman, 1 tuck jump
- 50 jumping jacks, 50 pushups, 50 tuck jumps, 50 situps, 50 mountain climbers (50 each leg), 50 squats, 50 jumping jacks
- 10 rounds of: 30 seconds handstand (against a wall) and 30 seconds isometric squat (squat hold)
- 5 rounds of: 10 burpees, 20 bench jumps, 30 pushups, 40 squats, 50 lunges
- 3 rounds of: 25 pushups, 50 situps, 75 squats
- 2 rounds: Max pushups 2:00, Max situps 2:00, Max flutterkicks 2:00, Max squats 2:00
- 50 burpees, 50 reverse lunges, 50 forward lunges, 50 squats, 50 sit-ups, 50 push-ups, 50 shuttle runs, 50 jumping jacks, 50 mountain climbers, 50 side planks
- Run 3k, but every 2:00 do 10 pushups and 20 squats.
Got a health question? Click here!
Mareike Bout is a qualified and registered personal trainer who specialises in holistic fitness and lifestyle coaching. She is a recognised leader in the industry, receiving the peer-voted South Australia Personal Trainer of the Year award in 2008. She is also a regular guest on Adelaide’s top-rating radio station FIVEaa. Mareike runs her personal training business, One Life Live Well, both online and from a private studio in Adelaide. Services include one-on-one training, outdoor group fitness, lifestyle coaching and weight-loss programs. Individually tailored programs encompass aspects of exercise, nutrition, relaxation, positive thinking, life balance, and goal setting. Her approach is to guide, support and educate her clients so that they posses the tools required to live a life of health, strength and vitality!