10 ways to get fit and fabulous
The first step is, STOP PROCRASTINATING. Reboot your life with an easy exercise and healthy eating regime. Here's how to get started:
- Make exercise a priority. Plan it and make it a "not negotiable" commitment. A good way to do this is to exercise upon rising. This will burn calories and kickstart your metabolism to run at a slightly higher rate for the rest of the day.
- Find an exercise buddy - this will help keep you motivated and get you out of bed on those sleepy mornings.
- Eat a healthy and filling breakfast such as porridge or soft-boiled eggs on toast to keep your blood sugar levels stable and help prevent bingeing during the morning.
- Move more and burn more calories by increasing incidental activity such as taking the stairs, parking further away or walking to the local shops. Every calorie you burn is a calorie less you store as body fat!
- At lunch, fill up on fresh salads and low-fat protein sources like chicken breast or fish. Getting the good stuff in will help you to keep the bad stuff out.
- Avoid eating too many carbohydrates as they trigger more hunger and more eating (includes bread, potatoes, rice and pasta).
- Once you get a bit fitter, get into high intensity interval training. This is the best form of exercise for stimulating metabolism and burning body fat. Best of all it you don’t need to spend much time engaging in it – 20 minutes will do!
- Have a small snack such as a protein shake or a small handful of nuts before you go out socialising. The protein found in these types of foods will help make you feel full so that you are less likely to overeat. When faced with an abundance of food choices at restaurants and parties, stick to food in its most natural form possible such as vegetable sticks, dried fruit, unsalted nuts, and fruit salad.
- Limit alcohol. Make sure you have a big glass of sparkling water between drinks so that you don’t over consume on the high-calorie stuff. Also, if you are drinking spirits, stick to sugar-free mixers such as soda water to save on hundreds of empty calories.
- Get active after your meals too. Do something fun that involves the whole family.
Start a new regime now, and in no time you'll feel fitter, healthier and younger.
Got a question for Mareike? Click here!
Mareike Bout is a qualified and registered personal trainer who specialises in holistic fitness and lifestyle coaching. She is a recognised leader in the industry, receiving the peer-voted South Australia Personal Trainer of the Year award in 2008. She is also a regular guest on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1> Adelaide’s top-rating radio station FIVEaa. Mareike runs her personal training business, One Life Live Well, both online and from a private studio in Adelaide. Services include one-on-one training, outdoor group fitness, lifestyle coaching and weight-loss programs. Individually tailored programs encompass aspects of exercise, nutrition, relaxation, positive thinking, life balance, and goal setting. Her approach is to guide, support and educate her clients so that they posses the tools required to live a life of health, strength and vitality!