Superfoods - they'll make you feel super!
First, what are Superfoods? They're foods that are calorie sparse and nutrient dense and are considered to be especially nutritious or otherwise beneficial to health and wellbeing. This means they pack a lot of punch for their weight as far as goodness goes, which may offer significant health benefits as a result. They are superior sources of anti-oxidants and essential nutrients – nutrients we need but cannot make ourselves.
There are many kinds of superfoods
- Green superfoods such as wheat grass, spirulina, blue-green algae and green leafy vegetables. They have the highest concentrations of easily digestible nutrients, fat-burning compounds, vitamins and minerals to protect and heal the body.
- Fruit and Nut superfoods such as raw cacao, maca, coconut oil and acai. These superfoods are high in anti-oxidants that fight free radicals in the body.
- Bee superfoods such as bee pollen, royal jelly and propolis. Royal jelly is the world's richest source of pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5), which is known to combat stress, fatigue and insomnia and is a vital nutrient for healthy skin and hair.
- Seaweed superfoods such as nori, dulse, kelp and arame. Seaweeds are the most nutritionally dense plants on the planet as they have access to all the nutrients in the ocean. They can contain up to 10 times more calcium than milk and eight times as much as beef.
- Herb superfoods such as nettle, ginseng and aloe vera. Herbs are essentially body balancers that work with the body functions so that it can heal and regulate itself.
To learn more about how superfoods can help you to lose weight, boost your immunity, send your energy levels soaring, give you glowing skin, and make you look and feel younger, send me an email.
Got a question for Mareike? Click here!
Mareike Bout is a qualified and registered personal trainer who specialises in holistic fitness and lifestyle coaching. She is a recognised leader in the industry, receiving the peer-voted South Australia Personal Trainer of the Year award in 2008. She is also a regular guest on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1> Adelaide’s top-rating radio station FIVEaa. Mareike runs her personal training business, One Life Live Well, both online and from a private studio in Adelaide. Services include one-on-one training, outdoor group fitness, lifestyle coaching and weight-loss programs. Individually tailored programs encompass aspects of exercise, nutrition, relaxation, positive thinking, life balance, and goal setting. Her approach is to guide, support and educate her clients so that they posses the tools required to live a life of health, strength and vitality!